Tuesday, June 17, 2008

God blog

After writing yesterday's blog I emerged from what suddenly seemed to be a very dark room into the full force of English sunshine. The cheesiness I hadn't realized when writing yesterday's blog began to creep its way into the corners of my mind spreading like the bubonic plague. I have a twisted relationship with the afterthought. I never finish anything feeling it was done right, the voice in my head never says well done Marissa that was superb. Yesterday was no exception. I decided to redeem myself, and kill the afterthought. I am writing yet another blog, but (hopefully) without the cheese flavoring.

Disclaimer: For those who read the blogs I will mention and slightly ridicule, or for those who will inevitably take offense to this blog I apologize. It is not my intention to offend, least of all Jesus Christ, it is only to rant. I do fear for my soul by posting this, but do know that I have never considered myself an athiest, merely a skeptic incapable of commiting to blind faith.

(Clears throat)

My friends I am scared, but it resembles petrified far more. I had a frightful experience this morning when I checked, as has become my daily routine, the Myspace top ten blogs. For the sake of your safety and my legal fees, I pray that you are seated.

Behold these words of the top Myspace blogs:

#6 Posted by Pastor Howie Is Magnifying Jesus Christ
#8 Posted by Sharp Girl Is Magnifying Jesus Christ
#10 Posted by Mary Supports; Is Magnifying Jesus Christ
#12 Posted by Princess Paula Is Magnifying Jesus Christ
#13 Posted by I Am the Way Ministries Is Magnifying Jesus Christ

Yes, there is a pattern, and an alarming one indeed. I have put the pattern in bold in case there are those who are as thick and dense as I. For us dense folk, bold works wonders. This "pattern" continues for longer than I want to type, to admit. In total there are 24 members in the Magnifying Jesus Christ "group," and I use the word group as loosely as possible. I begin to think that I may have actually stumbled upon a Jesus Christ cult, and so I investigate. Turns out I have, that is, at least in some respects. I will quote Princess Paula in her blog "Why "Magnifying Jesus" is in my name this week."

"We're magnifying Jesus Christ! We hope to be a blessing to our readers with blogs that will encourage, entertain and inspire the reader to be all God has for them to be!"

At this point the blog is tame, even pulling at my cheese strings, but then, after the computer froze and I managed to regain control of the mouse, I scroll down and read:

"We hope to reach the Top Ranks within the MySpace "Religion and Philosophy" section, and with your help.....we believe we can!"

Why? Since when did believing in Jesus become a popularity contest? And then I recall, always. I believe they are called missionaries. The whole my Jesus Christ is the best act- now come and join my church. With the birth of myspace missionaries now have high-speed conversion. If the Is Magnifying Jesus Christ cult should reach the top, Christianity will have succeeded in exerting its religious superiority. I imagine the Is Magnifying Jesus Christ team isn't getting many Jewish readers.

Thus I christen this blogenomenon the "God blog." The God blog is now in competition with The Jonas Brothers and Lily Allen, and we all now the ending. Jesus Christ is very popular, and he will on every occasion supercede fame. I think I am becoming a believer.

Blasphemy? I hope not.

I do not understand why I fear discussions of God. I suppose I fear the wrath that will befall me f I should verbalize my uncertainty, or worse the possibility that there is no.... No I won't say it.

Father forgive me for I have sinned. If I go to hell for this blog at least I'll be joined by the Beatles. Apparently The Beatles are not bigger than Jesus.

Dear Jesus Christ/God/Our Heavenly Father,

I still believe.
Just not in God blogs.

Love,
Marissa from Denver

P.S. If you are ufamiliar with Myspace top blogs this blog will not contain its full affect.

Tsk tsk.. Get with the blog times!

!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, LOL I like your blog. I am one of the Magnifying Christ bloggers. No. 27 in fact. Although I do not consider myself to be in a cult there are those who believe Christ followers are. I am not offended my your blog, everyone has their own beliefs and opinions. Mine are what they are and I am not ashamed of them. My blog is only for Gods Glory. If it is Gods will to reach more people by getting higher on the ranks then I will if not I won't as simple as that. I wrote what was pressing on my heart at the time and people can read it or not. Their choice. I love my God with all my heart. If even one person comes to know Jesus Christ by reading any of my blogs that is great, if none that is alright too. You are welcome to come by. It says nothing in it about rankings or any of that stuff. It is all about God.

In Christ
Kendra (NannaMomma)

Sharp Girl said...

You do have a way with words. I can appreciate your opinion here...but I have to say that I think you got it a bit wrong.

We didn't seek to reach the top ranks for our own self glorification. We're not a cult, although I understand that many folks would perceive us as such....because we "banded together" to accomplish a common goal. Does that equal cult? I suppose it wouldn't.....except for the fact that JESUS' name was in the mix. All of the sudden, JESUS' name appears and....."OH MY GOODNESS! It's those crazy fundamental Christians. LOOK OUT EVERYONE!"

The purpose of the blogs were to be an encouragement. Some people wrote of personal experiences....times with the LORD that brought them: PEACE, JOY, HOPE, ENCOURAGEMENT, etc. Others wrote about particular topics and were heavy on the scripture references.

Nobody was directed as to exactly what to write. That was up to each blogger's discretion. The only stipulation: KEEP THE COMMENTS from going in a wrong direction.

We never intended to engage in arguments. We endeavored to keep it uplifting and positive.

Why the TOP RANKS goal? Because we were all tired of seeing the RABID ATHEISTS there bashing our faith. It's somehow entertaining and "non-cultish" when the atheists rabidly go after our faith and our beliefs. Somehow, that's just perfectly acceptable. Then...what started out as 22 bloggers, and turned into over 32 bloggers (because so many asked to JOIN IN once they discovered what we were doing) we decide to support one another's blog and bring a positive message to the top 30 spots.....and we're a CULT?

That's just silly in my opinion.....but, hey....you're certainly entitled to yours.

We didn't do anyone any harm, did we? As a matter of fact, some of the atheists were so jealous of our accomplishment, they very quickly banded together to form the "IS MAGNIFYING [insert Greek god here]" group and do JUST as we did......writing individual blogs with links to everyone else's blog in the group.

So......what will there group be called? Will they be the ANTI-GOD CULT?

Just curious!

Maverick said...

Kendra and SharpGirl,
First I want to say that I am not "anti-God." It was not my intention to offend you, or anyone else for that matter. In fact I didn't think anyone with a "Is Magnifying Jesus Christ" in their name would actually read my blog. I have a loose tongue and it often says too much. I was only trying to express my curiosity. No one and nothing is excluded from my curious mind.

This blog was not meant to insult you, and I apologize if it did. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and make comments. I would like to subscribe to both of your blogs if I could have the link? I value the opinions of others, and I believe it will only make me a better and more informed writer.

I suppose it is controversy that brings readers. I hope you two will give me more feedback in the future, but maybe on a more secular topic.

Best regards,
Marissa